2021 Patio Guide: The Ultimate Resource For Outdoor Living In Sydney
The Sydney landscape is dotted with houses that incorporate outdoor living spaces in their design. Yes, we are talking about homes with outdoor areas such as patios, pergolas, decks, and sunrooms. Well, there’s no surprise there really. The love for the outdoor lifestyle is innate in every Australian. You can go to the affluent Sydney suburb of Point Piper and find yourself in front of lavish patio areas or you could head to the leafy suburb of Terrey Hills and notice that many of the houses there also come with decks and covered patios.
Outdoor living spaces are ubiquitous in Sydney. In fact, the same can be said of the entire Australia.
So we thought it would be a great idea to come up with a really comprehensive article on different patio designs and materials and throw in some really helpful tips to complete the concoction. We hope you’ll find this article useful as you plan your patio transformation in 2021.
The Different Types of Patios
There are generally two types of patios. The first one is the open patio. It is said that the word patio has a Latin origin, "patere", which means “to lie open”. In essence, the word “patio” originally refers to a courtyard that’s open to the sky.
One the other hand, the second type of patio (it’s probably pretty obvious) is the covered outdoor patio.
People use different types of structures to get a patio area that is covered. Some individuals prefer having a gazebo. It is typically a free-standing structure with sides that are open to afford a better of view of the surroundings. It is usually situated in the backyard patio or in the garden as an aesthetic focal point. They come in different shapes too. You can easily find hexagonal, octagonal, round and square gazebos to suit your needs.
Meanwhile, some people who want patio cover prefer awnings instead. Awnings are roof-like sheets of canvas typically positioned over windows, doors and decks to provide shade from the sun and cover from rain. People like them because they are affordable and can easily be configured for any patio area. Retractable awnings offer even more flexibility as they allow you to have an open patio and instantly get shade when necessary.
Another popular option for patio cover is the pergola. Pergolas are permanent outdoor living structures that could either be freestanding or attached to a house. They were used by ancient cultures in China as temples and living spaces and for wine-making by the Romans. Click on the link to learn more about the history of pergolas.
Patios with pergolas are really great additions to any house. Not only do they improve the curb appeal of a house, they also increase the value of the property. Urban Exteriors specialises in custom patio designs and has 40 years experience.
Pergola Roofing Types For Your Patio
If you think having a pergola for your patio area is the best solution for your needs, then you need to know the different types of pergola roofs. Check out this infographic material on pergola roofs.
- 1. Flat / Sloping Pergola Roofs - They are easy and quick to build, cost-effective, and requires little maintenance
- 2. Gabled Pergola Roofs - They are more weather-resistant, offers more vertical space, and also easy to maintain
- 3. Curved Pergola Roofs - They possess a modern and attractive look, offers good weather resistance, and provides more vertical space
- 4. Flyover Pergola Roofs - They provide ample vertical space, promotes airflow, and are easy to maintain
- 5. Combination Pergola Roofs - They feature a unique design, have more weather resistance, and offers more vertical space
Here are your options and their advantages:
Check out this video on pergola roof types!
Pergola Roofing Materials For Your Patio
There are also different materials available for your pergola. The most popular materials are insulated roofing, polycarbonate roofing and colorbond roofing.
- 1. Insulated Roofing - Insulated roof panels are highly durable and offers great heat and sound insulation. They are also easy to maintain. Insulated panels make your patio area ideal all year round regardless of the harsh temperatures brought about by extreme summer or winter conditions.
2. Polycarbonate Roofing - Polycarbonate panels are lightweight, UV and heat resistant, and practical. They are very durable and are guaranteed to last for a long time. One notable feature of polycarbonate panels, especially the clear panels, is their ability to allow enough natural light to the patio area.
- 3. Colorbond Roofing - Colorbond roofs offer easy installation and can withstand harsh weather conditions. It is a good option for your outdoor patio area especially if you are looking for durability. It ages well too. This material is resistant to cracking, chipping, and peeling and, because the color is bonded with the material, it does not need frequent repainting. That means it will look great for a long time.
How To Select The Best Patio Builder For Your Project
“Are there good outdoor patio builders near me?”
For sure. There are lots of really good patio builders in Sydney.
Here are some tips to help you pick the best builder for your project:
Stick with experienced professional patio builders. Looking at a certain builder’s portfolio on their website will give you an idea of their level of expertise. Check their company history. Are they licensed builders? Do they observe industry standards? How long have they been operating?
Talk to them over the phone. Do they answer your questions convincingly? Do they sound like legit professionals who know their trade by heart? More importantly, do they sound genuine and eager to help?
You may also scour the web for client reviews. Are customers satisfied by their work? Make sure you don’t rely too much on customer testimonials found on their website. Try to check reviews from unbiased third party sites such as Word of Mouth or Google reviews.
One of the most important things to consider would be pricing. Request a quote and make a careful assessment. Does the quote reflect value for money? It would be a great practice to compare quotes from at least 3 different builders. Identify which builder offers the BEST value for your money. Also, take a look at the extra things they do for the client. Do they offer product warranty and home owner warranty insurance? Do they help with council approvals?
Once you’ve done all these, you’ll be in a great position to identify the best builder for your patio transformation project.
Patio And Pergola Costs
The cost of your patio project depends on a lot of factors. To get your custom quote, please feel to contact Urban Exteriors. We are happy to give you professional advice and provide you with a custom quote.